Monday, July 1, 2013

In the land of Assumptions


 As much as I'll say I wished to be born a traveling gypsy; one who sees the sights of the world, my son will flat out tell you that I live in "the land of Assumptions" - and I've come to believe him.  DO you know the place?  It's just under a rock, sticking to the upper left side where the moss grows, where, if the sun aims just right you get a glimpse of it every now and again.  It's also where many people end up if they walk while looking down at their smartphone, using it as their only means to take photographs, follow the news, and make reservations for upcoming events.  If you live there, you'll know that this place is all about YOU...how you think, how you look, what you need to do and what you have to have to survive.  It is not intended to be self-absorbed and intentionally one-sided, it just wishes to "mean well" with a skewed view point. 

So, I know I ended up here about a week and a half ago, but the bad part was we had already been living in this "state" for much, much longer than that.  You see, the world has been revolving around us -and if and WHEN we make it out long enough to see that sunlight skim across the surface, we are always hustling back to the grind.  Our moments are many, many scattered pieces of sweet smiles and flashes of fresh air.  So, the assumptions lie in our laps each time we promise to catch up organizing the house, finish scrapbook pages for an album now three years old, and take time to sit back and relax with nothing else on our minds.

My realization occurred when I wanted to sit down and update my long denied blogspace.  Three months of life had slipped into oblivion.  The frustration of putting it in order was more time consuming than fathomable in my mind.  And that is where the truth lies - in misshapen piles of pictures, forgotten quips, and half eaten desserts.  While visiting reality (it's hidden in the guiltless days of summer break, where teachers are scrutinized for their downtime), I've taken the reigns to pull us up out of the darkness and get this train rolling again.  (Yes, if I don't watch myself I'll end up Idiomville or One-liner City!)  Granted, I am still working in backwards mode, so please disregard my regression in time as I attempt to pull the slices of life we've encountered since March --all back together...

Most recently, the boys picked up better weather, put it in their pocket with a golf club in hand, and have made tracks to the greens a couple of times...
 School has ended and celebratory frozen yogurt has been served once (or twice).

Family weddings, family visitors, and backyard BBQs are all the rage.
 And just as fabulously as ten years ago, these kids all gathered up with same bright smiles that a weekend would permit them to gather up.
 Simple meals to honor the most important men in our lives have been had...
 ...and quick dinners for "girl's nights" have been planned.
 
 I SO need to learn to try more new items and breathe in a bit more like this.
 Our monsters are nearly as tall as we are now.

Brandan has that "itch" for the impending holiday, too...
 ...but somewhere in all of glorious moments we've had we stretched it thin and still managed to hit sweet Adair County for our beloved family reunion.
 Just preceding that, we prayed to God to confirm and guide our Brandan...
 With an elaborate dinner organized with minimal effort, good, old Uncle Julio made this event just perfect for our large group; personalized menu and all.
 It's those moments where one can actually feel good about getting fancy and formal.
 But there was no time to feel the rocking chair rocking...
 ...birthday dinners and age sneak up on a person...
 ...and the kids you've watched grow up, graduate with degrees in Accounting.
May was the roughest we've ever had.  The weekends were celebrations and the weekdays were full of field trips, homework, and stresses of all natures.

 If my picture was summed up into just a couple of words...
 ...and people wonder why teachers need down time!

Aly must have known ahead of time that April had to be calm to build strength for the May ordeal, because she requested a simple cookie cake and some sushi for her birthday, with no interest in the typical birthday fanfare.

 Our weather was pleasant for the running of the bu...err...guys for the Shamrock this year.  Carmen joined me for the shoot.  I'm still very saddened that shortly after this event took place, we were outraged by the news of the Boston Marathon bombing.  I've always stood in THIS spot and it's never HAD to occur to me just how dangerous minds could change this happy place for me.
 

 SO, months have gone by, Noah is now walking shortly after blowing out one year old candles, and our Prado family stands at 15 members. :)
 I'm making every effort to bring back that goofy artistic educator into my home and apply what I teach in my own practices...

...and I HAVE finally finished off that grand old MEXICO album with the help of some Project Life cards and lots of journaling.  My intentions are there.  Less assumptions, more actions.  I got this.  And maybe even get caught up with those missing DC pictures, huh?

No comments: