Thursday, February 16, 2023

A Santiago vamos...

 


I don't know exactly where I'll end up, but I know I am on the right path.

That sounds entirely insane to most people, but even more so to the friends and family that we have shared with of our craziest travel decision yet.  After years of talking about it, making small purchases towards it, and ultimately, pressing the CONFIRM button on the airplane tickets, Chato and I are heading off in June with the "Camino de Santiago" challenge in sight.  Very few understand the trek we are SO READY to begin.  Do you "know" the Camino?  If no, click this YouTube link:

by Nadine Walks

I love this video link posted above.  We haven't even set foot onto the path, but everything I have come to learn through research and planning comes alive and real in Nadine's summary.  I may have initially fell in love with the idea of the Camino de Santiago when Emilio Estevez and Martin Sheen teamed up to bring it to the big screen way back in 2012.  But, I left it behind for a very long time.  Maybe it was when reality set in and responsibility kicked my feet onto a different path; around that same time I also lost the passion for this blog, where it has sat alone with the occasional visit from my Spanish classroom for facts on Costa Rica or a long lost memory that Chato wanted to show off to the random colleague or prove a point to a family member.  I didn't realize just how much I missed it until I sat down to resurrect it tonight. 


I have prayed for this revival.  I can't wait to type up the arrival to Europe with a simple one night stay in Paris before heading south via train into Navarre (where it is believed that my maternal ancestors derived). Arrival to St. Jean Pied de Port, the doorway to the Pyrenees, will be the first of many steps in an 800km walk across northern Spain.  Now to prepare, to pack, to countdown the days to this adventure.  I hope you'll join us and follow along.  We'd love to take you with us, answer questions and fulfill your requests along the WAY.



No comments: