Monday, September 10, 2012

Monumental...

This is my story to write.  
I have the freedom of speech that my democratic country bestowed upon me, and I thank the Lord above for giving my colleagues and I the opportunity to express our views today.

Our day began before sunrise.
We gathered in front of just one of the Chicago Public Schools that opened its doors without teachers today.  100% of our faculty showed up.  This story was echoed across the system.  
I have just begun my fourteenth year as an educator; a teacher to more than 300+ students.  I've witnessed great change, both forwards and backwards.  I know to expect surprises and to encounter "teachable moments" each and everyday without fail.  And I know that every day, I tell my students that I would never ask of them something that I am not willing to do myself.  When I ask them to read to themselves and build stamina as reader - I sit beside them and do it, too.  When I ask them to write me a story, I show them how I write, too.  When I teach them about Gandhi, Mother Teresa, Anne Frank, Cesar Chavez, Rosa Parks, and ask them to stand up for their beliefs - I can show them I do, too.

My mayor says "[our strike is] unnecessary, it's avoidable, and it's wrong."  

I believe it's wrong that he doesn't know the difference between an outstanding teacher, one who holds class in the violent streams of Uptown, and a struggling teacher, one who has the AUSL charter school backing with multiple resources, aides, and support staff.  But he will never see the difference if he continues to walk into buildings where they await his arrival.  He will not see what occurs if he doesn't spend weeks on end watching a single group of students move throughout their days.  THAT difference will never be recorded on a proper evaluation where student's social and emotional growth can be documented on top of their academic gains.

I walked aside my colleagues and with them this morning, up and down sidewalks where cars constantly beeped their horns in a show of support.  Children, who were offered open schools, were few in numbers, as parents chose to not cross the picket lines.  This evening, we all headed downtown to the main offices of our employers.  Our goal was to voice our students' needs: more counselors, more space, more access to technology...the list is unending.  We were, what it seemed, 100,000 thick.  Educators were not out there alone.  Firefighters, Police Officers, Parents, students rallied aside our sea of red t-shirts...
 ...city blocks covered...
 ...and there may have been a MILLION people there in my mind, but I was determined to seek out and find my "family", my colleagues, my friends that I have taught with and beside over the years.  It's a funny thing about teachers - that passion that drives you to work each day - it lends itself to strong respect and relationships for educators that do the same thing, day in; day out.

These are THOSE people...
 ...not only do I trust them with YOUR children; I trusted them with my own.

But there always comes a time when you question if what you are teaching sinks in.  Did they hear me when I was teaching character education?  That time we studied self-integrity or paying it forward?

Tonight, I heard my name called through the crowd.
These young men, now ready for high school, walked through the throngs of teachers, holding signs.  These brave gentlemen's faces, once my third grade students, reminded me of the power of our youth.  They've listened to their teachers.  They've heard the lessons of "make  your own decisions and stand up for them".  No one assigned them the duty of marching tonight.  Yet they were there.  And, God, thank YOU for allowing me to greet them and hug them and tell them how thankful I was for their support.
 Absolutely historic.
I am proud to have walked the streets of Chicago tonight.
I pray that educators are allowed to tell their stories.
I have hope that our city with show the nation that these are the right steps to take to improve our educational system: smaller class sizes are worth the money, accessibility to wide ranges of texts for exploration and interests of a growing mind, and the belief that all students foster a passion for life-long learning just as the many teachers I walked with tonight do.

Tomorrow is a new day.
 
...and I will walk with these ladies again.
And I only have one priority on my list...

No comments: