Saturday, September 29, 2012

Redefining TODAY

 Collectively, we've been back in the classroom for two and 1/2 weeks.  
Between the national news and all of the negative local coverage, my heart surely flipped up one side and down another over the course of my union's 7 day strike.  After recording my passion for the first day's events here, it quickly fell amongst the movement that was swirling around me.  

Let me say this straight.  At NO POINT did I disagree with the stance the the educators across this city were fighting for.  There should be small class sizes of students to allow teachers to give direct differentiated instruction to - Lord knows my previous school year with 31 students and 9 of those with special needs was a challenge for me, but who in their right mind would want their child serviced in an environment where the teacher had to pick and choose between social-emotional battles on a daily basis? The kids deserved better.  Curriculum and materials should be at the forefront of every classroom - and thank goodness I was raised by a team of teachers in my early classroom years who taught me what REAL curriculum is; it's not something you can only get from a teacher's guide - but not every teacher gets this experience.  There should be a longer school day - I don't now of an educator who disagrees with that idea - but did you know that Chicago's grandiose idea actually takes away elementary, self-contained teaching time with the new schedule?  By increasing student lunch/recess time from 20 to 45 minutes AND providing one hour instead of the old 45 minute period for resource learning, I now have less time with my students than I did when our school day was shorter.  Oh sure, I have lots of prep time now - why complain?  Because I want, no, NEED that time in my Social Studies and Science programs.  Because I want, no, NEED to extend their access to reading through small group instruction to hone in on each individual's learning needs.

But you won't see any of these things in the contract coming up for vote this week.  Small class sizes were not adjusted, curriculum is not addressed, and the extended school day is still considered a celebration of extra learning time.  

There are many "wins", I know.  For the first time in this new Bill Gates reared movement for Charter Schools, our contract does not include merit pay.  Our contract will honor our raises and not take them because they can.  Our calendar will be unified across the district.  Raises to our annual teacher reimbursement of that whopping $100 to a $250 stipend for classroom supplies.  sigh.

This was the movement I walked for on Monday.  But shortly there after, we realized that no information was coming to us.  We were standing sidelined to our classrooms, waiting.  for word.  any word. (I actually fantasized that the proceedings should have been led prime-time in a pay per view event.  People pay $$ for every other sporting event and this was GAME ON, right?  At least the people who were being discussed at that table: the students, the teachers, the principals, etc. could know play by play what the discourse was without having to hold their breath and wait for the third party media to say what was going on about the whole ordeal!)  By the time Friday arrived at the end of that long week, there was a bubbling that there was a deal on the table.  We could possibly hit our classrooms on Monday.  But that wasn't to be.  Rightfully so, the Union wanted the opportunity to bring the tentative agreement back to the members.  The world around us angered a bit more. How could "WE" drag this out?

And everyone had an opinion.
And they are all entitled to them - that's what I teach my kids; my students everyday...but use discretion in how you deliver it, please.  Be ready to compromise - the teachers did.  Stand up and show the facts in honest representation - come into my classroom.  Raise your voice when it directly affects you, your child, your community - but step back when it is just a HOT topic and you might not see the whole picture.

Finally, Tuesday evening of the second week, the delegates voted to suspend the strike.

And I am back where I love to be.
These were some of the things waiting for me...
 Love letters, listening activities, and lots and lots of reading and math and science and character education lessons to catch up on.  And we've done pretty well overall.

But my heart still aches.  I am all too aware of what the future could bring.  My Uptown home for the past three years, still lives in the heart of danger...   
 
...and I wonder if the powers that be will ever give them the attention they deserve.

Here at home, the kids would deny it, but they love that they are back to school.  Our weekends are full of time at the park ballin' and silly faces.
 
 Somewhere, in all of the life lessons, we are still growing on...
...some of us a bit to tall for a Grandmother to accept.

I'm not fully convinced that I've done something that defines change.  I think I'm still gathering and pondering right now.  Maybe one day I will try something that can alter this current uneducated reality...I'm off to look at the heavens.  Maybe one of those bright stars will be the light bulb I need to flash us into that something new.

No comments: